Board of Fire Engineers’ Meeting
May 23, 2011
ATTENDANCE: Toby Tyler, Jonathan Kinney, Peter Shattuck, John Rose,
Paul McBrearty, Mike Blood, Kurtis Triehy, Mike Doherty
APPLICATIONS: Applications for membership were reviewed and one applicant will be interviewed on June 6th. While very qualified, the other applicants live too far away. Toby will send them a letter.
STATUS OF EQUIPMENT:
The ropes on Rescue have been moved from the fuel compartment.
It appears the pump bearings got too warm on Forestry One. The exhaust piping needs to be repaired and then it will need an inspection sticker.
Car 1 needs an oil change.
The lettering has been fixed on Engine 5 and Sites and Signs has ordered a new stripe.
Kurtis reported many of the trucks are being put away filthy and they need to be washed before being put back in service.
A-1 needs new batteries.
The batteries in the fire alarm at Park Street do not hold their charge when power is lost.
Forestry 1 is out of service. There are a lot of changes with Forestry 2 (can now draft with it) and Kurtis suggested having another training with this truck.
The new smoke machine will be stored at the public safety complex.
Toby advised EMS Company needs a Captain and a Lieutenant. He has spoken with the Town Administrator about Ben and/or Kuris becoming part of the EMS Company and holding the positions. The past Administrator had ruled full-time members could not hold the positions but John interprets it differently and said there would be no problem as long as they are not on call one hour before or one hour after their shift. They would also be entitled to receive the stipend and take regular call time. Toby has requested John put this is writing. Ben and Kurtis have applied for the positions and the Board of Engineers will vote on the applications at the June 6th meeting. Their full-time job descriptions will not change.
Peter said this issue came up for DPW workers a few years ago and he has a written response from an attorney which he will fax to Toby.
The seat belt alarm on Engine 5 was disconnected again on Saturday. It will be zip-tied until a permanent solution is sought to keep this from happening a third time.
He will send out an email about marching in the Memorial Day parade. Members do not have to have a Class A uniform to participate.
The fourth of July parade will be July 2nd. Ayer is looking for participation in their parade the same day.
The Engineers will be meeting with the Selectmen on June 28th.
Assistant Chief Shattuck:
Peter advised there is a lot of wash by the hydrant on Jersey Street and requested plywood be put down during training.
He reviewed the several dangerous situations found at the call at 6 Mill Street last Saturday. He cautioned the Captains to be very careful when responding there and advised the two doors off the escape ladder on the Cottage Street side are not usable. Toby has a call into the landlord, who lives in Everett, but she has not responded.
Deputy Chief Blood: On behalf of Milt, John asked if the demo company will be replacing the damaged forestry hose and Toby said yes.
Milt wants to know if the company is paying for the use of the truck and Toby advised they are paying for the diesel.
TRAINING OFFICER REPORT:
Jonathan reported they had to swap a nozzle from Engine 6 for Engine 1 for the foam training. The foam equipment on Engine 6 is everywhere and he suggested they get a bucket to keep everything together. He advised the flow rates on the inductors are different. Engine 6 has a 95 gpm flow and they hooked up 150’ of hose while Engine 1 has a 125 gpm flow and worked with 100’ of hose.
There will be an auto extrication class on June 11th and Jonathan would like as many as possible to attend. There will be a classroom in the morning and a practical in the afternoon.
There will be a “live fire day” at the academy on June 25th and an exterior fire control in Nashua on June 18th. Jonathan will send an email advising what days firefighters will be out of town for training.
The Academy is setting up a practical day for the FF1 and 2 certification and hopefully, they will be able to take the written state test on June 28th.
Several have signed up for the Paramedic Assist class.
COMBINATION COMPANY – Captain Doherty:
Mike asked if the Lieutenants will be getting new CO meters and Toby said no as we do not have the money.
He advised he needs a Knox Box key.
Two of his firefighters need vests.
They will be doing training on drafting with Forestry 2.
HOOK & LADDER COMPANY – Captain Blood:
Pant sizes are needed for the brush gear.
He also highlighted some of the problems encountered at the Mill Street call last Saturday.
Mike asked if the firefighters who attended the training on Engine 5 are considered “checked off” to drive. Toby said if the officers are comfortable that the firefighters can operate the truck, they may sign them off. Mike said he has only checked off one firefighter.
Peter moved to have a Captain or Lieutenant sign off when the firefighters are approved to operate a fire truck. If they are not available, a firefighter may be checked-off by an Engineer. Seconded by Jonathan
SO VOTED IN FAVOR UNANIMOUSLY
There was no forestry hose on Forestry 2 when they trained. Kurtis said he will be adding some hose; we lost 6 lengths at the Mill. Mike thought the floating pumps were left set up. Kurtis said the adapter is in the truck.
With the changes in leadership at the Company level, Mike advised the Captains and Lieutenants will be meeting informally Wednesday night to discuss working together.
Matt Walsh would like to give a tour of the new well site.
The Engineers will meet with the FinCom on Thursday, June 16th at 7:00 p.m. to discuss Reserve Fund Transfers.
advised he will be buying oil at a cost of $500.
The meeting adjourned at 4:50 p.m.