"Report of the committee appointed to procure a Town Seal. With instructions from the town to take for the design the likeness of Sir William Pepperell.
"The design was taken from the third edition on the life of Sir William Pepperell, by Usher Parsons, printed in 1856, containing this likeness of Sir William at the age of fifty-five years, engraved from a portrait painting in London, by Symbert, in 1751.
"Groton, west parish, by an act of the Legislature, April 12, 1773, became a district named Pepperell, for Sir William Pepperell, the hero of Louisburg. May 23, 1775, by an act of the Legislature, Pepperell district was incorporated a Town.
"Sir William Pepperell was born June 27, 1696. Parsons in his life of Sir William says that "he was the only native of New England who was created a Baronet during our connection with the mother country; that Louisburg, once the foundation of the French power in America, whose fortifications cost six millions of dollars, and which is so celebrated in history for the two sieges it sustained and waste of blood and treasure upon its soil, that such a city yielded to the Farmers, Mechanics and Fishermen of New England, is almost inconceivable."
"Sir William Pepperell was appointed chief justice in 1730, holding the office until his death, July 6, 1759. We have the date, April 12, 1753, as a district, and the date, August 23, 1775, incorporated a Town, placed upon the seal.
"The seal was made by Mr. C. C. Hoffman, 73 Hanover Street, Boston, Mass., at an expense of Fifty dollars. We also had made a printing die for use upon stationery and envelopes, at an expense of eight dollars.
"We respectfully report and present this seal for your acceptance as a town seal.
CHARLES H. MILLER,
JOHN E. BROWN,
L. G. ROBBINS,
E. L. TARBELL,
COMMITTEE TO PROCURE SEAL"
Photography credit: Loretta Berardinelli